A Collection of Information in English
Definition of Basic Income
A basic income is a regular sum of money granted unconditionally by a political community to each of its members. There are four criteria underlying the idea of basic income:
- A basic income provides individuals with a sustainable livelihood that enables social participation.
- It constitutes an individual legal right.
- It is provided without means-testing.
- It does not entail any obligation to work or perform other services in return.
About the Network
The Netzwerk Grundeinkommen (Basic Income Network)
- was founded in 2004.
- is an association of people and organizations that advocate a basic income with its four precisely defined criteria.
- is an organization with members, statutes, democratic structures and a transparent way of working.
- is committed to social and political activities promoting the introduction of a basic income, including educational and public relations work, services to the basic income movement, and scientific discussions and political action, such as
- coordinating scientific conferences.
- organizing parliamentary evenings and publicizing the network’s positions on parliamentary activities.
- releasing press statements about political events.
- organizing regional meetings of basic income groups.
- maintaining the grundeinkommen.de website with independent editorial staff.
- maintaining the woche-des-grundeinkommens.eu, grundeinkommen-ist-waehlbar.de, BasicIncomeInitiative.eu websites.
- publishing information and debates via moderated mailing lists.
- publishing a newsletter.
- maintaining a Facebook page.
- maintaining an online calendar for events relating to basic income.
- maintaining a map of basic income groups in Germany and worldwide.
- publishing and regularly updating a bibliography on basic income and related subject areas.
- publishing and regularly updating an overview of basic income models and basic social security approaches in Germany.
- providing advertising and information materials and other publications.
- arranging contacts with possible speakers to give presentations on basic income topics.
- answering questions.
- is part of the German and international basic income movement and promotes international networking activities. Some of these include:
- organizing the German Basic Income Roundtable for the various people and organisations in Germany working for the introduction of a basic income.
- organizing the International Basic Income Roundtable with representatives from other countries.
- fostering the cooperation with other social movements and political and scientific organizations in Germany and abroad, e.g. in the form of joint organization of conferences, meetings, and political demonstrations.
- is BIEN Germany, the German affiliate of the Basic Income Earth Network.
- offers interested parties the possibility to actively participate in working groups, regional groups, the editorial staff, and the Network council.
- is supported by a funding association and a scientific advisory council.
Advertising and Information Materials
Papers, Positions, Presentations
- From the Idea of a basic income to the political movement in Europe. Development and questions
by Ronald Blaschke, Berlin, August 2012
- Unconditional Basic Income: an effective means of tackling (hidden) poverty and promoting freedom for all and democracy
by Ronald Blaschke, Brussels, April 2014
- Unconditional Basic Income (UBI): A trade union goal?
by Ronald Blaschke, Berlin, May 2014
- Basic Income in Germany and as a Global Social Right
by Council of Netzwerk Grundeinkommen, Berlin, December 2015
- Brexit makes it clear: The European Union must be a democratic, a social and an ecological one.
Joint positioning of Attac, Arbeitsgruppe Genug für alle (Germany, Attac basic income workgroup), Attac, Inhaltsgruppe Grundeinkommen (Austria, Attac basic income workgroup), Netzwerk Grundeinkommen und sozialer Zusammenhalt – B.I.E.N. Austria (basic income network and BIEN affiliate), Council of Netzwerk Grundeinkommen (Germany, basic income network and BIEN affiliate), Runder Tisch Grundeinkommen (Austria, basic income roundtable), Vereniging Basisinkomen (Netherlands, basic income network and BIEN affiliate), Juli 2016
Facts about social security and basic income concepts in various European countries